Sedona Heritage Museum’s Telegraph Office
by: Editor on 4/14/2017
Peek into history at the Sedona Heritage Museum. Originally the Telegraph Office 100 years ago, this building has served the region as a railroad depot and a Western film hub throughout the past century. Nearly 100 movies have been filmed in Sedona, the bulk during the Western film era of the 1940s and 50s. The museum was a highlight in 1947’s Angel and the Badman. Unused for 50 years, the film was gifted to the Sedona Heritage Museum.
Currently, the Telegraph Office is being relocated and restored, turning it into part of the museum’s exhibit grounds. It’s the last remaining piece of the Sedona West movie town set and slated to bring visitors swiftly back into the golden film era.
It’s been two years of hard work, and now the Telegraph Office is almost complete. Hollywood discovered Sedona in 1923, moving swiftly to film Call of the Canyon in the region. John Wayne chose Sedona when he produced his first film, opting to build a full movie street that was later used for a slew of other television shows and commercials.
When visiting the Telegraph Office, don’t miss out on the exhibitions and galleries offered by the museum nearby. Located in the Jordan Historical Park at 735 Jordan Road, exhibits include Early Settlers, The Orchard Industry, and Ranching & Cowboys. Open daily from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., admission is $5 for adults and free for children under 13.